Mark marking doesn't just had to be boring old pencil and paper. A box of good quality chalk and the path in your garden is a whole new world. Here are some some ideas for mark making out side. After all it is the start of the journey of being able to write. mark making helps them develop imaginatively, creatively and physically. Mark making is important for many reasons. It is a visible way for children to tell stories and express feelings, record what they have to say, solve problems and discover solutions - and sometimes it is just an outlet for pure physical enjoyment
- Water bottles just old washing up bottles will do.
- and old clean paint brush a bucket of water and they can't faint their little hearts out.
- and a little bit of play sand in a tray or if you have a sand bit that's brilliant.
- Get some old wall paper and weigh it down. You can create hand prints, footprints and don't just let them limit themselves to that. let them use toys you don't mind getting paint on such as old cars, trucks. And perhaps things from nature such as pine cones , leaves etc!
- Why not create a splat picture ?
- Or perhaps why not have several pots of paints with marbles in and have a tray lined with white paper. let the children tip the marbles into the tray and then slide the marbles about in the tray.