Ingredients: 2-4kg/4lb 8oz-9lb unsmoked boneless gammon joint, tied
1. Place the gammon joint in a large bowl, cover it with cold water and soak it overnight or, if time is short, for a minimum of 3-4 hours.
2. After soaking, wash the joint well in cold water and place it in a saucepan with enough cold water to cover the joint. Bring to the boil then reduce the heat, cover the pan and simmer gently for 80 minutes (20 minutes per pound plus 20 minutes).
Recipe for the glaze:
- 4 Tbs honey
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 Tbs soy sauce
- 4 Tbs Green Pesto
- 2 Tbs brown sugar
Mix all of the above in a small pot and heat until it comes together in a thick glaze.
Pre-heat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6 .
- . Roast in the centre of the oven for ten minutes, then take the joint out and brush the top and remaining side with the rest of the glaze. Return the gammon to the oven for a further 10-15 minutes, rotating the roasting tin so that the opposite side of the gammon faces the back of the oven.
- The gammon is ready when the fat on top is glossy and golden brown. Cover loosely with foil if the top begins to look too brown. Remove the gammon from the oven and set aside to rest for 15 minutes before carving.
- Pour any juices that have collected in the aluminium foil into a small pan, and warm through gently.
- Carve the gammon, serve on a large platter and spoon over the warmed juices .