lb s /900g potatoes , peeled and quarted
6 tbsp milk
110g butter but keep a small knob back for the sauce
Salt and Pepper
tin of ox tail soup
115g chopped onion
115g finely diced carrot
450g minced lamb/beef
1tbsp all-purpose flour
115g grated cheese
2tlb of olive oil
splash of lea and perils
The real twist I think is the inclusion of oxtail soup my friend told me about that one ! It turns a hum drum Shepherds pie into pure heaven.
- Heat oven to 375/190c/ Gas 5
- Boil the potatoes until soft then drain. Place the milk and butter in the pan used to boil the potatoes, return to the heat and warm gently until butter has melted.Add the potatoes and mash. Season to taste and keep to one side.
- Put the olive oil in a deep pan. Add the onion and carrot and fry for 5 minutes.
- Add the minced lamb and one- third of the ox tail soup the onion and carrot mixture, adding also at this point the sweetcorn. Sir constantly until all the meat is browned. Add the ox tail soup and season with salt and pepper. Cover with a lid and cook for 15 minutes.
- mix the flour into the remaining knob of butter then add small pieces of this to the miced lamb sauce, stirring all the time until all the flour has dissolved and the sauce has thicken in around 5 mins.
- Place the minced lamb sauce into a square dish around 8" 3 " / 20cm x 7 cm either glass or ceramic. Sprinkle the grated cheese on top of the potato and bake in the oven for 30- 35 minutes unil the surface is crisp and brown. Serve immediately.