7 Surprising Things You Didn't Know About Barbie
You will find a Barbie doll (or ten), plus all the accessories that come with her, in most kid’s toy boxes. However, for some she is seen as more than a toy and there has been much controversy over the years and many people questioning whether she is a good role model to young girls.
Over the years the typical blond haired Barbie doll has evolved to incorporate numerous types of people and recently an alternative version of the doll has been created called Lamilly, who comes with cellulite, stretch marks, acne and even tattoos.
So, aside from being a much loved kids toy for generations, how much do you actually know about Barbie? Here are seven facts that may surprise you.
1. Some women have taken Barbie as a role model to the extreme as they transform to look like her, including one woman who has been branded the ‘Human Barbie’!
2. Barbie is just a nickname, her full name is Barbara Millicant Robert, she comes from fictional Willows, Wisconsin and was born on 9th March 1959.
3. Since her introduction in 1959 Barbie has added more than 150 careers to her CV and each doll comes with the clothing and accessories to portray their career. From the 50s to 60s these included a fashion model, nurse, tennis player and teacher.
She later became an Olympic athlete, Miss America, rock star, astronaut, oh and a doctor, just to name a few. One of her most recent careers is entrepreneur, complete with tablet and smart phone.
4. Barbie broke through the glass ceiling in 1985 as a business executive, travelled into space in 1965 – four years before man walked on the moon and has run for president six times since 1992 but never won an election.
5. Barbie’s first pet was a horse named Dancer, since then she has had more than 50 pets including cats, dogs, horses, a panda, a zebra, a chimpanzee and even a lion cub!
6. The 1992 Totally Hair Barbie, who featured hair from her head all the way down to her toes, was the best selling Barbie ever. Meanwhile the Holiday Barbie Doll continues to be the number one selling Barbie doll year after year.
7. There have been several controversial versions of Barbie across the years, many of which didn’t make it to the shelves or were pulled not long after they did.
Barbie still remains as popular ever including Barbie being on a huge range of popular clothing click here to see the amazing range ! For me I had Barbie as the step mother to my other dolls and my Nan actually worked for the rival company but I still had fun with the one Barbie ,that I actually did have though.
Discosure I have been compensated for this content.