- 150g unsalted butter, plus extra to grease
- 150g soft dark brown sugar
- 150g golden syrup
- 250ml milk
- 250g plain flour
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- 2 large free-range eggs, beaten
- 3 pieces of stem ginger, chopped
- 2 crisp eating apples or cooking apples , peeled, cored and grated
- 1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan160°C/gas 4. Grease and line a 2 litre loaf tin. Melt the butter, sugar and syrup in a small saucepan. Once melted, stir through the milk and set aside to cool.
- 2. Sift the flour with the dry spices and baking powder into a bowl. Make a well in the centre and pour in the cooled sugar mixture. With a wooden spoon, slowly incorporate the flour mixture using a circular motion. Fold through the beaten eggs,stem ginger and apples.
- 3. Pour the mixture into the loaf tin and bake in the oven for 50 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes away clean. Cool for 5 minutes in the tin, then remove to a wire rack.
|Apple & Ginger loaf.|